I’ve been using a new behavioral app. Yes, I have a “thing” for these kinds of apps. What can I say? They work for me. Though sometimes I wonder if that’s a good thing. Of all my awesome and amazing friends, I seem to be the only one with whom behavioral apps work well. I have talked a number of friends into trying MyFitnessPal and no one else seems to love it the way I do. These are seriously cool people! Am I not cool?? Sigh… it’s silly to think about, I know, but I do anyway.
So yeah… a new app. You know I use MyFitnessPal to track food, and I use RunKeeper to track runs, bike rides and dog walks. My newest app is Lift. The idea is fairly simple. Lift helps you start and maintain daily habits. They can be simple things like flossing your teeth every day, getting to bed on time or telling your spouse that you love them. They can be fitness goals or even things like trying to “listen more and talk less.” The way the app works is: you create an account, select the things you want to work on, and when you do them, you click a big green check box to check in.
Now, there are lots of other people trying to do the same thing, so when you check in you see everyone else check ins – some that are doing something for the first time, some that are on their 168th time. You can click a little icon to give them “props” for what they did. You know what? I like seeing those little props from others popping up on my phone. Sure enough – it motivates me. (There is a great article about the science behind Lift here.)
Here are the things I am working on:
- Exercise: By this I mean anything other than walking the dog. (That I do every day, twice a day, already.) What I want to do is make sure that I am getting additional exercise in every day, or as often as I can. It can be power walks on my lunch, bike rides, learning boxing, strength training, going for a run or whatever I want.
- Write a Blog Post: That is for you, dear readers! Also, writing makes me happy.
- Inbox Zero: Someday…. someday. I’m working on it, and got both of my big email inboxes down to under 50, but I want to see them both at zero.
- Sleep at least 8 hours: I love sleep. I need sleep.
- Unclutter: This part of what I was writing about earlier. I am trying to get rid of junk I don’t need. Get out of my life, junk!
- Meditate: I’ve been meditating on and off since my senior year in high school. I have had years where I have a strong practice and sit daily… and years where I forget what sitting quietly even looks like. I’ve been wanting to get back to it for awhile. I’d like to get back to making it part of every day.
So, that’s it – what I am working on right now. As I am sure you can guess I have a lot to say about all of them. Good thing I am planning on trying to blog daily!
If you use Lift, feel free to find me. I am there under first name: LongView last name: Hill.